PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two planes fly into power lines in Qld
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2013, 12:51
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am glad to hear that no one hurt, and i hope not too much damaged paint. OZ G10 correct, not a day to day occurance, but certainly one that can roon your whole day if you cop one bad.

The larger size (mass) and higher dispersal speed of modern ag aircraft provide higher energy levels that make cable cutting or breaking more straightforward. Smaller and or slower types do not usually come off well from wire strikes, especially longer spans where stronger cables are used and they act as arrestor cables, literally dragging an aircraft out of the sky. Smaller types are perhaps less likely to hit cables, i.e.the same cables, but consequences are worse. Some pilots are more tempted to fly under much lower wires in smaller aircraft, Even to thread the needle when not operationally neccessary. Larger types usually have heavier duty wire cutters and props as well.

Many ag pilots i knew polished the windscreen always in vertical motion so that wires could not hide in any polishing marks or streaks, especially when flying into sun early morning, or near sunset.

Sounds like all is ok in this instance. ...these instances.

HD