PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Full procedure approach
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2013, 23:02
Teldorserious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first PDF is a departure, so I can't answer for the approach in Iceland.

The second one, coming from the North is crossing LIEGE outbound on the procedure turn, base turn at 12.4, intercept the ILS.

Now not from that area, here are some caveats. Middle of the night, they put you over Liege at 25,000 ft, because you were flying right over, changed your destination, boss wanted to stop in for dinner. You aren't going to be able to cross liege at 25,000 ft and get down fast enough for the 12.4 turn, so you decend in the hold, and when down at say 3k, do the outbound procedure turn 077 to get you lined back up to Liege in the right direction, outbound 214, turn at 12.4, intercept the ILS.

That said, there are other approaches in the world where an entry hold co located with a procedure and a procedure turn gets silly in how much of the entry hold you are supposed to do. For instance in Kelowna Ca I did an entry and full turn in the hold prior to outboud on the approach. Guys on the radio asking about my position wern't happy. The book says to do the hold, which is an entry and a full turn, but the old salts will tell you can do anything you want inside the protected airspace of a hold, ATC doesn't care. So the pro way is to drop into the entry hold dropping like a greased brick, getting onto the outbound procedure as fast as possible and not flying around in circles up there, already at procedure entry alts an flying every little procedure on the chart to get onto final.

Do what is safest for you to guarantee the safety of the flight. If you are high and the hold works, do it, if you are comfortable slamming in high and crossing Liege outbound at 12k and 250, ok. Just stay on the lines and inside the protected airspace. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Teldorserious; 13th May 2013 at 23:06.