PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Raaf Atc Darwin
Thread: Raaf Atc Darwin
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2003, 04:11
No Further Requirements

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RENURPP, point taken about Jepps but that large percentange may be just in the airline ranks, which isn't the large percentage at Darwin. Australian AIP is the source for Jepps documentation so I would guess that references are made to AIP as it is the 'senior document'.

The runway light snot being available, I don't know what is going on there - I'm on leave. However, it cannot be 'just a military thing' as you said becuase the NOTAM says that it isn't applicable to MIL ACFT. I think PANS-OPS or Airfield Design Criteria or some other ICAO document may say that for civil circling approaches at night there must be a certain type and number of runway lights operational. Again, just a guess.

I would guess that under radio failure conditions that you would commence straight-in approach to the duty to land. If weather conditions were such that you REQUIRED to conduct a circling approach, that would be your call. If you had a radio failure, ATC will not be able to tell you not to do one anyway! All it means is that ATC cannot ISSUE you a CLEARANCE to conduct a circling approach. As I said though, I am away at the moment and I gather there has been some guidance given to ATC on what they can and can't do in regards to degraded runway lighting and approches available.

If you have any questions, please ring ATC, either the XO or the Operations Flight Commander, and they will be more than happy to talk to you.

See y'all when I get back,

NFR.