PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigerian Professional Pilots and the Unemployed ab-initio pilots
Old 13th May 2013, 19:26
dash200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLYDHC8, we can't blame Trim Stab

After all, it's Nigerians who can't see that you don't allow foreigners to work in your land where your patriots are qualified, but unemployed. Such nonsense is not accepted anywhere in Europe, EU era and pre- EU era.

If our people knew the first thing about nation building, they wouldn't tag the term "expatriate", to commercial pilots, in 2013. Not after four decades of owning a flying school which in it's first decade, achieved world standards; not after training thousands of professionals in various fields of air transport to global standards, both at home and abroad. Because, like Malaysia did as early as the early eighties, India early seventies, locals only would have been eligible for the right seats of the comm aircraft in the land. And such never has to be a question of legal rules or legislation; it's only common sense to nurture local talent and expect that it would provide society with the long term benefits of contribution of same to your country.

I hope you don't feel I'm being hard on our people. If you think we got it right, just sincerely, dispassionately examine how successful it would be, for the Immigration Service, in concert with the Labour Ministry, to establish a process by which foreigners are denied employment in situations in which our people can do the job. In today's Nigeria of "na where man dey work, na im he dey chop"; this nation of the "drop something" and "settle me" syndrome. Would it work?

In fact it was, I suspect, a foreigner, posting in this forum, who observed that, in order to be taken seriously, any local big wig seeking a contract or their usual rent in Abuja, had to include an Oyibo in the deal. The issue was the tricks private jet owners were getting up to, because of the paucity of official surveillance, oversight, etc. But I think the interesting part of the post was that the guy felt for this country. Yep, the pathos was there. You'd wish the animal civil servants and pols who recruit or lap the **** of those foreigners were the ones who had any sympathy for Nigeria, won't you?

Forgive me, if I hurt your feelings. God knows I'm hurting too. But sometimes we profit if we wash the dirty linen in public, or join in when outsiders do it for us.

(Err, I'm still trying to pretend that this isn't a vain effort to draw the attention of people who can make a difference, to the issues we have raised on this thread)