PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If given the chance..
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2013, 18:15
Fg Off Bloggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was selected Nav at OASC which Scotched any chance of getting on board a Lightning. However, when my own jet was grounded for 6 months, Gp came up with a detachment plan that would keep us all flying during the grounding. So, having been asked where I would like to fly, I opted for Binbrook to fly in the Lightning and was sent a detachment notice confirming it.

Unfortunately or fortunately, on the Friday before my move to Lincs, a rather pompous Lightning sqn ldr rang me to ask what time I planned to be there on Monday. I told him and let drop that I was really looking forward to flying in the Lightning!

'No bl**dy way, mate, you're coming here to do all the SLJs we have piled up, we need an extra pair of hands! You will not fly whilst at Binbrook!'

I went straight to my Boss who cancelled my detachment immediately - so the pompous ass had to do his own SLJs and my boyhood dream remained unfulfilled!

So LIGHTNING!

Made up for it though as a locum member of the AAFCE TACEVAL Team in the 80s getting to fly in: USAF F4; RDAF Starfighter; GAF Alphajet; Belgian Mirage; Italian Tornado GR1 and Dutch F-16 (which was pretty good at a vertical climb off the runway too)!!!

Bloggs