PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2013, 17:13
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
206A, Low gear with fairings, C-18 engine. Sweet!
When the 206 entered the market in 1967 her aesthetics seemed to shine among her peers, the Hughes 500C (with its 'reverse egg fuselage and 'screaming rear-seat' main transmission) and the FH1100 with its blunt nose and 'gangly' skids.

In terms of a small efficient private transport there really was nothing else like it and, as a result (and as we all know) she went on to become one of the most popular helicopters of the 70's.

In November 1966 Bell sent one of their prototypes (there were three) along with their pilot Joe Mashmann here to Milan where the aircraft was demonstrated to various prospective customers .. one of whom was my godfather. Upon returning to the UK my godfather showed Sebastian de Ferranti the publicity material distributed by Bell. Sebastian's response was to tell my godfather that he thought the JetRanger looked "very sexy". My godfather replied, "I'm glad you said that .. because I ordered two!"

Ferranti Helicopters Agusta-Bell 206A JetRanger G-AWJW. This was Ferranti's second JetRanger

The teardrop shaped nodule beneath the baggage compartment (also present on G-AVZG) was the antenna for the Decca DANAC moving map display the read out for which was mounted atop the instrument panel.

Ferranti's first 206 (G-AVSN) was the fourth 206 on the UK register and was the first non-Bristow JetRanger to be delivered to the UK.

I was very glad to see Ambidextrous ' photo of G-AVZG, she looked wonderful .. and to catch Tommy in the process .. fantastico!

I shall keep my fingers crossed that in years to come I may find two more images I am keen to collect, firstly one of Peter Cadbury with G-CHOC and secondly .. one of Jock Cameron with G-AWGU. More hunting to do.

Ambidextrous: I don't know if this craft will ring and bells with you but .. just in case:

Agusta-Bell (but delivered by Westland) 47-G AH1 Sioux XT498 of the Army Air Corps Advanced Rotary Wing Flight as seen at Middle Wallop on 14th June 1968 (Photo: RA Scholefield)

Also .. did you ever happen upon someone called Robert Parry, its just that there's a wee write-up about him which reads:

"Flying training commenced in December 1975. Three months after promising the Gunnery Officer at Portland that it would be 18 months before a possible course. He enjoyed the experience, without exception. Jenks taught him the rudiments of life in a Chipmunk. Chris Tinkler and Hugh Colquhoun did the same for the Sioux and basic rotary. A dispute about a rocking Sioux post an engine off resulted in a flurry of white gloves on white helmets from both sides of the cockpit, which amused those who could see from the sloping ground area. Hugh was always informal in his methods."

Robert Parry