PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YMMB
Thread: YMMB
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2013, 13:00
kabukiman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish:

YMMB is now "Oxford Airport".

I came very close to aborting my arrival a few weeks ago, climbing from circuit altitude to 1500 overflying and asking the Tower to start me again from some place like Carrum.

I was arriving from Academy and reported at Sandown as requested and directed to join downwind for 35L, I was given traffic of about Four Oxford aircraft on crosswind or downwind, with another Two in the circuit and Two more arriving from GMH via Parkmore.

I had difficulty spotting all and getting sufficient situational awareness to the point where I was just about to call it off since I couldn't determine if I had sufficient separation as required by the Regs. It was not helped by rotten student English language skills.

To top it off, I couldn't clear the runway for a minute after landing because I was Third in a Queue of Oxford Cessnas, and the lead one didn't have the English to get his taxi request out and start moving forward. Eventually his instructor made the call for him.

We all were students once and have to make allowances, but this is getting ridiculous.
It's silly isn't it. Being at a 'smaller' school there when I was first learning and doing lots of circuits, there were heaps of times I was flat out denied start for ccts. I'd be denied ccts on request from GMH as well, often. They fly miles out, these huge silly circuits (the controllers call them "oxford's 747 circuits")

They hog the aerodrome and it's quite irritating. I have trouble understanding what some of their students are saying. Have you ever visited the tower and spoken to the blokes up there? they really don't like the oxford planes. Good reason.

They don't position themselves correctly over entry points like academy, GMH, carrum etc when they make their calls which is dangerous and annoying too. Not to mention they can never hold proper circuit height which makes it hard to spot your traffic comeing in from somewhere like sandown on a hazy day.