PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flags of convenience
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2013, 11:47
bluecode

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think one of the reasons the Lo Co sector has been so safe thus far is the new kit most are flying and the sheer frequency of flight and type of airports operated into really keep people on their toes.

But below the surface there have been a lot of close calls, in other words luck was on their side, it wont always be so, with that in mind it is useful if people flag up unsafe practices or work patterns/pressures,
I'm sorry but that's nonsense and indeed an insult to the pilots of lo co operators. Do you even work in the industry? I don't see how you can say that if you're actually a pilot. You are seriously uninformed. You simply cannot say it's pure luck that there haven't been many accidents. Luck has nothing to do with it. It is rare indeed that the an aircraft accident these days could be described as bad luck.

But all this is irrelevant to the point of this thread. Ryanair is not Irish registered because it's convenient. It's Irish registered because Tony Ryan was Irish. Tony Ryan is also part of the reason why Ireland has such a large population of leasing companies. He helped found GPA and that led in turn to dozens of other companies setting up shop. Mostly for good business reasons.

The fact of the matter is that Norway is an expensive place to do business so that almost anywhere else in Europe makes more sense to be based. It just so happens that they're leasing aircraft from an Irish leasing company, ILFC. It just makes good business sense. Instead of attacking another country's business practices may Norway would see fit to try and make it more attractive for inward investment. Or are they too rich with all that oil to care?

They have priced themselves out of it. Only they are to blame.

The fact and reality is that most of the flight crew will not be Norwegian and I suspect will not be in the mood to pay Norwegian taxes.