PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Feb 21 - Qantas due to release its first-half results today has been caught off guard
Old 13th May 2013, 10:05
TIMA9X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why isn't QF any more profitable
I think J*'s performance in Asia is showing signs of distress (now published figures are available since the Feb 21 announcement) hence my growing feeling the focus returning to Q mainline.
The only trouble with this, Q mainline has been concentrating on the new Emirates deal which has nothing to do with Asia.... go figure.. we were told at the time 3K Asia was an amazing business.
Jetstar misses another opportunity in Singapore as it reduces focus on China market | CAPA - Centre for Aviation

Mainland China has accounted for the entire decrease in North Asia capacity, which is rather surprising given the importance Jetstar Asia previously placed on the Chinese market. Jetstar Asia is currently offering only about 5,000 weekly return seats in the Singapore-China market compared to about 8,000 weekly seats one year ago.

interesting
A stock market disclosure that AirAsia X is bringing forward its Australia expansion plans poses a much sharper attack on the Jetstar franchise in Asia than a mere doubling of capacity to Sydney and Melbourne sooner than originally expected. Jetstar in pincer attack from AirAsia X, Scoot | Plane Talking
I am pretty sure now the market has completely changed since this thread started back in Feb, in fact changed so much I fear both Jetstar and Q mainline are now under huge pressure.
It's good to revisit what AJ said live on ABC news 24 back in Feb followed by The Business the same day.

It is also important to note SQ's profit figures in decline over the past three years. Will be interesting to see SQ's next results by comparison to see if Scoot has cannibalised SQ's core business.

It appears now, more than ever, there is a growing argument for Qantas mainline to get as a priority whatever new metal that is on order for the Qantas group, to go to the LH operations to build on what Bruce Buchanan had planned back in July 2011 for Jetstar. I am convinced that the Qantas brand is the way forward for Asia, not Jetstar which appears to be floundering amongst its rival LCC models in Asia.

Jetstar's new North Asia focus leaves room for Qantas Singapore expansion to Europe and India | CAPA - Centre for Aviation

Jetstar's new North Asia focus leaves room for Qantas Singapore expansion to Europe and India
Let's hope so, although India would be questionable under the Qantas branding in my view. Joyce did say recently
Joyce predicted the airline next financial year would reap the benefits of moves to modernise operations, maximise partnerships, reduce costs and upgrade its product and service.
Suggests a keener "focus" back towards Qantas mainline?