PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the problems with FDs?
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2013, 10:04
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Children of the Magenta, indeed, `tis true.

Thank you all for your time and input. My question (as usual poorly written) was intended to see if there were many inherent bugs or bogies with FDs in general.

Specifically however, the A320 FDs - so the feedback you have given me on the A320 systems is invaluable and I thank you very much and I will have to get yet even deeper into the AOM and the autothrust system. Especially the autothrust system.

On the magenta line. Once I wondered if I could Heading Sel as BOAC suggested to get my L1011 to work on the minimum of auto, as, bascially, I did not want to f--k about with it. So, we hand flew to cruise and we were very happy. After a major conference in crz to determine that everything is tickety boo as per the plan - then we would select A/P on, and if it did what it was meant to then we would continue to TOD where we we did the same thing in reverse.

I studied, at that time the levels of automention 1,2,3, etc or a,b,c, depending on which school.

Now, with Glass and FBW - as one company puts it - "you will be assimilated" and it is true - in order to properly understand the thing, you have to be a part of it, engrossed though I am there are others who are totally and absolutely technotroids, but you have to be if you are to understand the system like one or two on here do . . . (far more than me (but I am catching up . .!)

Simply put, if I don`t get totally into it then I won`t know why it has just killed me. Not wishing to die and glad of previous experience of different levels of automation to a point where "if it aint doing what we want now then we`ll fly it another way"
downgrade,
dowgrade,
until we are hand flying the thing. Basic stick and rudder stuff Wright brothers?
Well, to a point.

L1011 was a babe to fly hands on, probably the best aircraft ever built.
The airbus will be equally easy and flyable manually, once the techtronic/human decider valve (in my human brain) has disconnected me (as a mere tie connector) from the machine.

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 13th May 2013 at 10:33.