PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nanchang CJ-6
Thread: Nanchang CJ-6
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2013, 09:49
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a share in a '52 for a few years and it was great fun! Aerobatically unlimited with lots of power, but it's a big heavy beast.

Parts (including new engines and props) were cheap as chips, but the fuel consumption was horrific by light aircraft standards! It was very well built and rarely failed, except the air start system which invariably leaked if the aircraft hadn't flown for a while, leaving insufficient air for a start-up.

The '52 has some interesting spin characteristics and will readliy flick if you are even a bit out of balance. Anyone not used to such a beast really needs a throughough check out with someone who really knows the aeroplane. I had a session with Gennedy Elfimov and learned a heck of a lot even though I'd had a lengthy check out and conversion to type by an experienced Yak pilot.

It's the easiest aeroplane to land that I have ever flown - does it itself, really. As long as you remember to lower the gear - a lot of '52s have been landed gear-up as it's very easy to do. Ours was (not by me!) and that precipitated the end of our group.

I went back to the Chipmunk, which while only a fraction as aerobatically able as the '52 is actually nicer to fly!