PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ATP - post your questions here.
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2013, 01:48
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mr Clumsy asked me this: "...Not sure if you flown in Australia or held a casa lic but would you know of there will be any issues with converting a single engine atp to full Australian atpl .
Also I hold a dash 8 endorsement can I do a check flight on a dash 8 sim and count as a atp flight check ?
I know there are hundreds of schools around any particular you would recommend ?"

I generally don't respond via PM or others can miss out on information - and sharing information is one of the most useful aspects of PPRuNe. So...here's what I think:

My background: I have an Oz ATPL which I used to convert to an FAA ATP-MEL. A couple of years later I got a UK ATPL and after that added FAA ATP-SEL/SES to my FAA ATP-MEL.

Avoid the large schools - they tend to be more expensive. Find a smaller school that is approved for foreign training and is willing to work with you. Don't go anywhere that requires you to pay all up front.

There shouldn't be an issue converting an FAA ATP-SEL to an Oz ATPL. Or didn't used to be. Under the new regs coming in I think it will be 'like for like' so if Oz goes for a SEL / MEL distinction then that's likely to affect what Oz ATPL you'll be able to get.

You can do an FAA ATP checkride in an appropriate level simulator at the same time that you do an FAA type rating. Not sure if any sim. schools would let you use their sim for a quick in & out ATP checkride. Anyway, you can do the FAA ATP check in pretty much any aeroplane. I did my original FAA one in a BE76 Duchess, and my combined SEL/SES in a C180 amphibian.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 14th May 2013 at 13:02.