PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2013, 21:00
Courtney Mil

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
LO,

For the stealth structure you describe the difficulty in rebuilding those layers as a repair in the field is no simple undertaking, which is part of the point I was trying to raise for discussion, so I thank you. Although any attempt at discussion here seems to prompt a barrage of quotes from the internet rather than an exchange of informed views and opinions.

LM have gone a step further by incorporating the functions of those layers into fewer, structural elements. Their concept being that real stealth is built into the aircraft, not applied to it, or some such. And they are right.

So, my interest here goes deeper. It's no longer an applied surface treatment, it's a part of the airframe structure. So, if damaged you have to do ABDR on it. And you connot simply use the method of "bond or cure" (other terms are available), you now have to know what layer to repair with what material, in layers, as you say. So homogenous patches and epoxy resin don't work anymore, even if you just want to repair the structure without worrying about the LO characteristics.

The aircraft's resitance to, and tolerance of, gouges and damaged seals, etc. is really good. I have yet to see answers to the question of more significant damage. Balistic damage being a particular issue as it's so difficult with composites even to analyse what the damage is.