PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Critical angle of attack and stall
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2013, 19:04
gums

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
Good point, Barit. And Love had another one.

One of the things I learned from my instructors ( over 50 years ago, same as you) was the "feel" when "close" to that arena where you could snap roll with a lotta rudder and maybe a reasonable amount of back stick. Never saw one when at a fairly low AoA, but the bent wings I flew wouldn't do it before adverse yaw kicked in and such, plus a lotta shaking/burble.

Love's point about wind tunnel tests of wings are great, and when wings are mounted on an airplane, things change. Just look at the Viper and Hornet AoA stuff ( F-16 and F-18). The vortex "lift" kept the air flowing over the wings longer than planes with no leading-edge extensions/strakes. Prolly also got some lift from the fuselage. However, we're talking about 20 - 30 degrees or more AoA, and the average general aviation dude or airline pilot would never see that part of the "envelope".

My main point is that during training you must fly the plane close to the limits and try to get the "feel" just before the plane goes outta control. Many of the heavies can't allow this during training, and I do not know what can be done about it.

Some folks talk about "zero" AoA to gain energy and recover from a stall. Prolly true, but the certain method is zero gee, which you can feel without any stupid indicator. Don't think the SLF's would like that procedure, but it's damned hard to stall if the plane is not producing lift, ya think?