PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2013, 18:32
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When Ambidextrous sent me the above photos I though "mamma mia .. Ambi has been keeping these wonderful shots hidden away until now!"

Ambidextrous' 'summer snaps' from '68 just happened to capture the very aircraft we have been reviewing on this thread .. and some special craft at that!

Firstly G-AVZC which appeared on page 78 courtesy of PPruNer Wildboy, the son of Wally Wilding. His photos show his dad with "ZC" during his time with Air Gregory.

Then G-ATJY. There are very few images available of this craft so it is great to have this on record. Although bought initially by the aviation enthusiast Douglas Arnold, at the time of the photo she was under the tenure of the late Cy Rose - someone who was a good friend to the Colonel. Cy was also a good friend of The Maestro, Dennis 'the Menace' Kenyon aka Denissimo!

Next we have G-AXSF. Earier in the thread we looked at all of the UK's Brantly 305's (I think there were around 7 in total). They were certainly a rare craft. "SF" was owned by BEAS but operated by Endeavour Aviation at the time of the photo. In fact the Endeavour titles are just visible behind the door.

And finally we have G-AVZG. Again, there are very few images of this craft and which makes Ambi's 'snap' all the more appreciated.

Is that Tommy Sopwith at the tail with the engine blanks?
Oldlae got it in one!

"ZG" was delivered new by Mann's to Tommy Sopwith just before the Christmas of '67. She was the 13th JetRanger on the British register and Ambi just happened to snap her with Tommy. Fantastico! (I think he even had all his fingers at the time!)

In my email banter with Ambi he wrote: "I remember your Godfather being spoken of with affection by my peers whilst under training (e.g: Hugh Colqhuon) my instructor on Bell 47 Sioux."

This was gratifying to hear but .. I have never heard of Hugh Colqhuon. Is there anyone who could tell me a little more about him. Did he remain in the Army for example?