PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airman Aircrew pay review
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2003, 19:44
WarmInTheMiddle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H-R, you miss my point (deliberately?). There is no doubt that many (but not all) AEOps – especially those individuals who have been merit-promoted over the past 13 years or so - have the potential and ability to perform any AEO role. The intention was not to impugn the abilities of any AEOp - I used to be one after all. My point was that unless they’re changing aircraft type, newly commissioned Engs/ALMs can return immediately from the brain change/removal at Cranwell, to do exactly the same job as their NCA colleagues. In contrast, Ab-initio AEOs posted to mainstream ac (MR2, E-3D, R1) take on a totally new role that requires full OCU training followed by sqn categorization. In this way there is no direct read-across - nuff said?

The AE brevet affords considerably better commissioning opportunities than any other NCA specialization. An 18-year old DE AEOp currently has a much better chance of achieving Wg Cdr rank than his ALM/Eng counterparts – particularly if commissioned under age 25. The AEO role allows those individuals who aspire to MR2 captaincy, R1 mission command and E-3D Tac Directorship, to achieve their goals. Furthermore, this strengthens the position of the AE brevet within the WSO/Op branch. Always Broken In Wilts trumpets the death knell of the rear crew officer cadre, and that may be true in terms of the Eng/ALM specializations because of the “read-across” factor. The same cannot be said of the AEO specialization, thankfully.

My message to any AEOp is to take Charlie Luncher’s advice - put your ability where your mouth is by entering the commissioning competition. If you don’t aspire to commissioned duties, that’s fine – a broad range of AEOp employments remain available. If those employments don’t meet your requirements, either leave the Service while you are still young enough for a second career or wait until IPP and leave with some money.

Left 1 and Right – Chap, (or Man) you haven’t changed a bit (unless you’ve had a nose job that is…….) – the 2 Macr on the AASS did the best that they could under the circumstances and so your sarcasm is ill-targeted. Were you only hanging on for the money then? My house doesn’t need re-wiring so………….BYE BYE

Keep Smilin'*/Moanin'*

* Delete as Applicable