PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NADP1 in Europe. What altitude do you reduce to CL thrust?
Old 12th May 2013, 03:16
B-HKD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The most widely adopted NADP1 procedure is Climb thrust at 1500' and acceleration at 3000'.

However,

Many local operators, such as in the UK, Germany and France all which are known to be strict wih noise monitoring and subsequent fines for violations, have adopted 1500' for climb thrust and 1500' for accel.

Example: Lufthansa out of EDDF/Frankfurt will use 1500' for climb thrust and 1500' for accel. At any standard NADP2 airport such as KLAX or VHHH for example, NADP2 applies with 1000'/1000' and anywhere else NADP1 is necessary, 1500'/3000' applies.

United for example will reduce to climb thrust at 1500' and accelerate at 3000' when using NADP1. And NADP1 is exactly what they use at EDDF.

To make it a little clearer, the local carriers at noise sensitive airports such as Lufthansa in Germany, Virgin in the Uk and Corsair in France (just the ones I know off the top of my head) have adopted 1500'/1500' whereas the foreign operators will usually stick to the standard 1500'/3000' as per NADP1.

The idea being that NADP1 with the 1500'/3000' combo is the most common one, because at the majority of noise sensitive airports it will satisfy the noise requirements. Thus operators can avoid having to adopt different climb/accel. figures for each noise sensitive airport.

I believe a reason for certain airports and I believe this also applies to EDDF, not allowing CLB thrust below 1500' could be due to the fact that with todays extensive use of de-rates/assumed-temps/improved-climb that many departures are actually ending up with thurst increases at thrust reduction alt. The reason being that Takeoff de-rates + assumed temps result in lower thrust than CLB1 or CLB thrust. On most boeing types it has become very common when departing from long runways for the thrust levers to move forward at thurst reduction height.

Last edited by B-HKD; 12th May 2013 at 03:51.