PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2013, 18:24
Danny42C

Follw-on.

I shall tell you a Mystery.

Roughly twenty years ago, long retired, in late 1991, I was leafing through a copy of "Der Spiegel", which WHS ordered for me weekly. The idea was to hang on to the smattering of German I'd picked up on a tour ('60-'62) there. An article took my eye, and made me look closer. In the text was a "mug-shot" of an RAF officer, not a particularly good one, but enough to make out the "scrambled egg" on the cap. It was our man, all right.

The article was an obituary of "Freddie Mercury" (who died 24 November '91), and who will be better known to our younger readers. It stated unequivocally that his real name was Jarman and that he was a son of the "RAF Ace" they pictured. Some ten or fifteen years later I had a look at the first laptop, googled up "Freddie Mercury" to learn that he came from a Lebanese family (IIRC).

Checking up again lately, Wiki now says that F.M. came from Parsi stock in Gujerat (India). Muddying the waters is that there is also a Derek Jarman, who is described as coming from "a military family" in New Zealand (and who died, I think, in'94).

"Spiegel" is a very highly respected and influential publication. It has a huge corps of international correspondents and a story like the one it carried would have been carefully researched.

Someone has the wrong end of the stick. I offer no explanation.

Danny42C.