PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climb gradient requirement on SID
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2013, 12:58
fuelevaporator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>7% up to 1700ft

departure 31 sez with right turn before hills.
know of a company using thrust reduction and acceleration at 800ft for a while and this is what a first officer told me to have happened to him three times in a row:

before right turn had a hard warning from egpws to pull up...

so even never flying below the 7% extension from runway end is not allways enough for some aircraft with "look ahead - but never around a planned corner - feature", when during acceleration the fms derived path is below required and to stay on safe side most of the time I follow the "sabenaboy"-method and delay acceleration all the way but sometimes when sure gradient is NOT due obstacle and limit goes up a lot (dxb up to 8000ft towards west until some time ago) I use flight path vector during clean up even if gradient is only 5% or 3degrees just to show to my colleague that his method (disregard) is wrong.

however as allways using not trained methods has downsides and this happened to me in athens with 7% to 7000ft: speed sneaking up with 3 to 4 kts per 10 seconds as shown by speed trend but crossed "f"-speed anyway.
good solution: increase angle even more and wait for the 7000ft.
my not so good solution: retract flaps and see minimum selectable speed "overtaking actual speed"...