PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum hours requirements
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2013, 06:06
StopStart

Champagne anyone...?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly for Tac training I think there should be realistic, scenario based training in the sim (and aircraft actually). This was something we tried to do but never really got to grips with but I'm pretty sure the present incumbents are.

I was firmly convinced that for those tac qualified, QuART should involve tac currencies, for example, the Norway night LL drop scenario that picked up cold weather ops, NVG LL and a bunch of drops. The difficulty comes in making it realistic and applicable. Compare what we do (did!) in training with what we actually do on ops. That said, the cold weather, hot and high etc sims should all have versions for the tac crews that sweep up many tac BCRs as possible.

Sadly with the process-bound and mind bogglingly risk averse nature of things nowadays, you'll be hard pressed to change much in terms of numbers of BCRs now. If however you were designing a new training package from scratch I would seize the opportunity to completely clear out the never ending list of ticks that get chased.

Ideally you'd just have one main, 3 monthly tick labelled "QUART", completion of which implied that you had been trained, observed and tested in a selection of procedures and drills over the course of three sim sessions. The training would still include all usual Windshear go-around, head down approach stuff but with the frequencies reduced and the procedures incorporated into sim scenarios. This would reduce the daft situations where someone has to jump in the sim for 15 mins to do a head-down approach because "he'll go out of date whilst on Det". Similarly it would remove the "what do you need?" opening gambit to any sim sortie.

Tac crews would maintain individual BCRs but again many of these could be swept up into a "TAC QUART" BCR which would ensure that the majority of procedures were covered over the year.

The emphasis needs to be on "what will provide the best training solution to ensure the crews are able to operate the aircraft competently and safely whilst at the same using their time and our training resources efficiently and effectively". As opposed to the current "what will provide the best audit trail with which to cover our arses should, god forbid, something go wrong".