PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2013, 21:26
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
HOT/Tropical Day Temps US Mil STD

Thanks 'Engines'. I have not followed the minutiae of eventual CVF and F-35B selection over the last decade, so a lot of terms, perhaps common to UKers, escape me. Onesuch is 'KUR' - I think that term can be found on the 'Beedall' CVF website; and I will follow that up. Anyhoo here are some temperatures defined:

"There are four specific "non-standard" atmospheric models that are defined in MIL-STD-210A. They each have their own temperature vs altitude profiles, but at sea-level:
(US, 1962)
Standard : 59 deg F
"Cold" : -60.0 def F
"Polar" : -15.7 deg F
"Tropical": 89.8 deg F
"Hot" : 103.0 deg F

Future Aircraft Carrier (CVF)
Queen Elizabeth Class Part 4

Navy Matters | Future Aircraft Carrier Part 4

"Key User Requirements
Nine top-level Key User Requirements (KURs) for CVF have been laid out, which define the capabilities required. They are as follows:
- KUR 1, Interoperability: CVF shall be able to contribute to joint/combined operations;
- KUR 2, Integration: CVF shall be able to integrate with the joint battlespace to the extent required to support air group operations, command, control, communications, computers and intelligence (C4I) functions and survivability;
- KUR 3, Availability: CVF shall be able to provide one operational and available platform at all times;
- KUR 4, Deployability: CVF shall be able to deploy for operations worldwide;
- KUR 5, Sustainability: CVF shall be able to sustain operations;
- KUR 6, Aircraft operation: CVF shall be able to deploy offensive air power to the sortie-generation profile specified without host-nation support;
- KUR 7, Survivability: CVF shall be able to achieve a high probability of survival;
- KUR 8, Flexibility: CVF shall be able to operate the largest possible range of aircraft; and
- KUR 9, Versatility: CVF shall be able to operate in the widest possible range of roles.

Each of these is supported in more detail by a series of so-called user requirements documents (URDs), and there are typically 10 of these per KUR.

A solution is developed which meets each of these URDs but, almost invariably, the result is too expensive or too difficult to achieve.
It is the responsibility of the IPT, in conjunction with the customer and the supply chain, to examine these capability requirements and seek a solution that would measure trade-offs, and meets the available budget. This is necessarily an iterative and lengthy process, requiring both analysis and synthesis of a complex set of variables...."

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 10th May 2013 at 21:39.