PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Simmers - How do you make the yoke better?
Old 10th May 2013, 14:41
mr_rodge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Simmers - How do you make the yoke better?

Hi all,

I recently had a go on a (non-flyer) friend's FS 2003 setup and thought it would be good to build a basic setup for IFR hold practice. I would, however, like the yoke to feel a bit more realistic than my friend's did.

I didn't think the pedals were bad, but the yoke (CH products) didn't seem to have enough travel and thus was a bit too sensitive. I found the PA28 on the sim much harder to fly than the real one I fly. It seemed 'twitchy' and with nil wind set, it was impossible to let go of the yoke and allow the virtual plane to fly its self. I can imagine flying any sort of hold on it being very difficult.

I put this down to the travel because at full aileron deflection, the yoke must have been at about 70 degrees from the neutral position. The elevator was even worse, at only a few inches to full up.

I've done some digging and seen that the Saitek Cessna yoke claims to have 180 degree travel which would be better (I imagine) but the PA28 I fly still has more than this.

I know that flying IFR I probably won't need to take the control surfaces to their full deflection, so is there a way of 'capping' the maximum travel of the virtual ailerons, so that, say, full 90 degrees to the right on the yoke gives me 70% aileron travel? If this's possible I don't see it solving the twitchy elevator though, as full travel will be needed in the flare!

Does anyone know if this can be made realistic/are there better yokes?

Cheers!