PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2013, 08:43
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
East of Suez

From the main NAO PDF report there is this quote:

"...3.10 An important enabler of the UK’s STOVL Carrier Strike capability will be the ability to conduct Ship-borne Rolling Vertical Landings (SRVL). This landing technique will be necessary where a conventional vertical landing is less likely to be possible without jettisoning large weapons or fuel load when in hot, humid or low pressure weather conditions. [East of Suez when youse fall off the edge - there be dragons?] At present the technology is not proven with redesigns required to the carrier deck and aircraft software. The capability will be required for operations by 2020 and the Department included a provision to complete development as part of the cost of reverting to STOVL. The Department is confident it will develop the technique within the required timescale...."

I have seen many references to "East of Suez" and "hot humid conditions" in reference to the apparent inability of F-35B to do VLs according to KPP requirement (hence SRVL). [Otherwise for purposes of the KPP the F-35B does meet the requirements.] It seems to me that everyone in the UK knows what the temperature referred to means - would someone let me know what these 'East of Suez' conditions are please? All temps etc. would be at sea level or whatever deck height for CVF is appropriate. Thanks.

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 10th May 2013 at 08:47. Reason: explication