PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help needed identifying someone who is potentially lying about RAF experience
Old 10th May 2013, 01:48
Tiger_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every serviceman will have a high point, low point in their career that they can answer swiftly and with confidence if asked. Likewise they will have been on an awesome detachment and a right sh17hole somewhere that again will roll off the tongue without thought. The best fiction is an embellishment of fact, anything else will be easily seen as the person takes time to think about an answer.

The Hawk was also known at the time you mention as the HS1182, HS being Hawker Siddeley an independent manufacturer before the creation of BAe. One ride in the back of a jet does not make you into a jet jockey, but it could enable a Walt to recite tails of daring do down the welsh valleys.

I recently attended a formal ATC dinner in which many wore miniature medals and talked with bravado about flights in this and that. I wore black tie and no medals and never before have I heard so much sh*te coming across a table in such a short period of time. It is amazing how many jubilee medals of 1977 the ATC appear to have got given that most stns and regiments only got 2 or 3.

Or the No5 equipped officers adorned with RAF pilots wings who when asked about which stallion he rode replied with Vigilant!