PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargo Crash at Bagram
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2013, 23:12
FCeng84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The big picture

I agree with all suggesting that this discussion has veered off course and needs to get back to the big picture. First and foremost a terrible accident has occurred and people have lost their lives. The least that can be done to honor this loss is to get to the root cause of the disaster and to take steps to reduce the likelihood of a similar event occurring.

Much of this discussion here has been directed at the possibility of cargo shift having played a role in this event. Some on this forum have suggested that an agressive pull-up to a very high pitch attitude during climbout would have put more load on the cargo tie-downs thus increasing the likelihood of a cargo shift. My comments have been in an effort to explain that the X-axis (along the body fore/aft) load exerienced by cargo tie-downs is not dependent on pitch attitude, but rather it is almost exclusively dependent on engine thrust.

Only time and careful investigation will reveal the truth here, but I strongly believe that in the end it will be shown that if cargo shift played a role in this event, the shift occurred during takeoff roll on the runway and not after leaving the ground.