PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2013, 20:07
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rotorhead: Great to see the classic Hiller 12 still flying in the UK!

The Africa Years ..

Eric, thanks for your well wishes. The chemical used (a Fenitrothian derivative) is now a thoroughly banned substance. My heart went out to the Beaver drivers (hmm .. that doesn't sound quite right does it) anyway .. several of whom (having been in the game for many years) suffered from respiratory problems of one kind or another and one of whom had scraped-up enough money together (these were local pilots) to make a medical visit to the US where he had a lung or part of a lung (is that possible?) removed!

Being a 'contact' chemical it was necessarily lethal and, as a result, one tried to do what one could to minimise risk. Obviously I flew with the vents and windows shut and, after a short while a rubber painter's mask arrived from Dar which I also wore. One of the problems was that, spraying at night, it wasn't especially easy to line-up on one's previous swath after making the end of run turn .. so it could sometimes happen that you inadvertently passed through your own spray, until that is, I employed a different pattern of spraying! There are, as you might imagine, many intriguing stories relating to that contract.

It was my first job as a commercial pilot and although I loved flying .. I don't mind saying that I was somewhat relieved when it ended. The risks were just a little too much .. even for someone as eager as I was back then.

Regarding Rangers ..

I'm certain I don't really have to explain that this is colloquialism! And .. its use is not altogether inaccurate as, according to the manufacturer, the 47J, 206, 206L and 429 .. are all Rangers of various kinds!

Nevertheless, now that John, and before him TRC, have both mentioned this .. I shall relent in my further employment of this phrase. I hope this sacrifice causes widespread jubilation !!

Eacott's Westland Sprout in 'Who Dares Wins'

The Sprout with SAS members dangling beneath

Of course this really was an SAS technique .. but one specially reserved for those who had been recently court martialed. Being suspended below the Sprout was an alternative option for those not wishing to be placed in the 'Glasshouse'!