PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Announcement May 9th
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2013, 15:03
thefoxandfirkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The company has missed a massive PR trick here. Sure they missed the target but they could have really saved the day by paying a token amount out of the cash kitty which is $7bn. It doesn't take the brains of a sim engineer to work out what two weeks x an average salary x 45,000 staff would cost and its a a very low hundred million or so. In the scheme of the cash pile that wouldn't have much impact yet the effect on morale would have been massive and the PR very good for the company.

I think most people knew it would be a tough year and we all dug in hard working ourselves into the ground thinking that based on the past years we wouldn't have two years of no profit share. I think the two year shock is what's hit home more than the fact its a zero this year.

All rapidly growing companies hit peak, mature then decline its basic economics, same as companies like Microsoft and Apple. They get huge then fall of the cliff and have to reinvent the wheel again and again to regain share. To do this they need focussed, motivated staff. Emirates probably gives more job security than others but that doesn't always motivate no matter where your from.

Us flight deck crew, the CC and even the office boys and girls have been pushed to the limits for commitment but it sure can't keep going forever when its not rewarded.

I think they could have done something really positive here in a negative situation but missed the opportunity big time