PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Critical angle of attack and stall
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2013, 02:47
gums

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
@ Laz

O.K., "critical angle of attack" seems to be the max AoA before lift begins to reduce according to you and Dims and whatever reference you guys are using.. Oooops, not lift, but Cl.

The newer wings have a lot more gentle curve up near max Cl. The old graphics with the sharp break are not there except for very old airfolil designs, most likely used by general aviation planes. For example, some newer planes reach the max Cl at "x" degrees, but do not get a lot lower Cl for 5 or 10 degrees more AoA. They just have more drag and sink.

The Viper I flew could get up to 25 degrees AoA with great performance and not a lot of induced drag. Leading edge flaps and the "flaperons" on the trailing edge changed the camber of the wing. So I would not place a firm value on AoA for the "critical AoA'", like the 16 degree number. And as I asserted, the deltas had a peak Cl on the graph, but simply started to sink when you got a lot higher AoA. Some planes can not even fly with AoA above 10 degrees or less without stalling. All depends on the airfoil used.