PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2013, 22:20
SpazSinbad

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
USN Night Deck Landings Create HOOK/DECK BRIGHT SPARKS

'Courtney Mil' I do not see 'conflicting statements by 'Engines' as you say. As for my comment about 'sparks'. Metal on Metal (or likely THERMION covered Metal) will make sparks - no matter how gentle the contact. Have a look at night carrier landings to see the sparks fly. And why do you protect 'Low Observable'?

I thought I had made the point earlier about "...indicate serious metal work - wear to the deck and the hook shoes." This is a given. A4G maintainers either of their own accord through inspections or at request of deck gear chaps, would blunt the steadily sharpened A4G hooks. These hooks have a finite life also; to be replaced as required. Have you seen up close the state of a 'cats n'flaps' carrier metal deck?

I'll find a night DL video for youse..... No need to watch all this otherwise excellent video - the night deck sparks de hook are only at beginning - after that - fun/games.

F/A-18 $hit Hot Break

"Published on Dec 5, 2012 From CloudSurfProductions...
VFA-211 Super Hornets bringing the $hit Hot Break and bagging a few traps onboard the USS Enterprise. Also known as the "Triple Nickel" (Breaking 500', 500kts and .5NM BEFORE the boat). ***Not an Official Navy Video***"

F/A-18 $hit Hot Break - YouTube

The first two time lapse photos of 'bright sparks' NOT from the video - the third one is - click thumbnails below for bigga pickcha:

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 9th May 2013 at 03:26. Reason: JPG link(s) + STILL Frame from Video Added