PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asian Countries’ Medical parameters
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2013, 15:55
sewerpiper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to share my experience with LASIK and the CAAC.

I had LASIK about three years ago. It was not PRK, but the one where they cut a flap with a laser before treatment. I went to china for an interview a few weeks ago, and they did a very lengthy check on me. They found the LASIK almost immediately at the CAAC center in Beijing. There were probably 4 or 5 doctors in the room discussing what to do in chinese with me. I got the feeling some of them were students. Every one looked at my eyes multiple times during this conversation. I was asked for documentation about the surgery. MAKE SURE YOU BRING THIS!! I would have surely failed without it. They decided that I needed to do three additional tests. One was conducted at the CAAC center by the doctors who found the LASIK, the other two tests were done at a separate location in Beijing, an eye center of some sort.

The tests were hard!! Well two of the three were hard, the last one was just look into a device that took a picture (i think) of my eyes. It was done in the wrong format the first time, so I had to do it again, no sweat on this one. You can't control it.

The first test that was done at CAAC was a series of 9 circles, with lines in them that slant either right or left, or up/down. I could never get all of them right. I could usually get 8 of them per slide, but sometimes not. I thought I was doing poorly, and gave myself a headache trying so hard. But when the test was finally done, the printed out a sheet and said very good. So don't freak out too much if you feel like your doing poorly.

The other test, which was done across town, was even harder! Don't expect a good test environment. Expect people all around you talking loudly and turning lights on and off(true for all the testing really)
You stared at three green dots with one eye covered, while you click a hand clicker every time you see a yellow/orange dot flash in your peripheral vision. The back lighting continues to get dimmer and dimmer during the test. I failed this the first time I took it, well the administrating doctor said I passed, but the CAAC doctors said not good enough. I was allowed to retake it, and I went back and passed the second time. The key to passing this test is to make sure your eyes are as open as wide as possible(even the covered eye, it's not completely covered and you should use it!) and learn the pattern/rhythm of the flashing orange dot and try to use it to your advantage. If your on the third or forth click and don't see the dot, there is a good chance it's there! Just click in beat. It follows a perfect beat I noticed.

So I have official notice from the CAAC I passed. So it is possible to get a medical in china with LASIK, just be ready for an intense examination of the eyes. They did tell me if my LASIK had been done in china, I would not be passed. I think they just mean the USA does a cleaner job of it.