PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New US Presidential Helicopter requirement
Old 8th May 2013, 14:40
SansAnhedral

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I seem to recall that the bolts (Ti) have been replaced by bolts (CRS), which suggests to me that the root cause issue has been addressed. (Regarding a well known failure or two).
Firstly, that ignores the ongoing foot cracking issue.

The new filter housing and adapter took care of the filter leak. But tapered roller bearing loading in a transmission that simply cant handle elevated temperatures without oil film as well is still an issue in almost all SAC transmissions. One could argue they are all more susceptible to failure in LOL situations.

Simply put, plugging one leak does not make the inherent design more capable without lube from any other given (extremely remote?) cause.

If the current transmission was not an issue, SAC would not have spent the better part of the last decade desperately trying to finish up the IDMGB, which has still yet to make its appearance.

The real question is whether or not that arguably totally redesigned transmission would meet the new VXX requirement of essentially OTS certified, proven aircraft and components. Hence my earlier post.

Last edited by SansAnhedral; 8th May 2013 at 16:55.