PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another fraudulent sale
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2013, 09:46
Rich B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone

My aircraft was listed for sale shortly after I purchased it, on the same website as has been previously mentioned in this thread.

I sent an email to the CAA to voice my concern. Their reply is below, but this was as of July 2011, so it may be possible their stance is different now, although somehow I doubt it.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail.

As you may know, the CAA is required, by law, to maintain a Register of Aircraft in the UK, to include on it the names and addresses of all persons qualified to be the owners of the aircraft and to make the Register available to any person to inspect. Insofar as you are a person with legal or equitable title to the aircraft, the CAA therefore is required to include your name and address on the register and to make the register publicly available.

As it was a pre-existing piece of legislation requiring these details to be made public it is not covered by the Data Protection Act.

The CA1 application form that you completed to register the aircraft states in the accompanying notes: 'The UK Register of Civil Aircraft is available to the public, including via the CAA website, and includes the names and addresses of registered owners of aircraft.'

We assume that you have contacted the website concerned to remove this entry, however we ourselves will only re-register and aircraft if we are satisfied ownership has changed and contact the current registered owner before doing so.

We do not insist that you use your private residential address on your application to register but do recommend that you use the most appropriate correspondence address for the distribution of safety information. If you wish to change your address on your existing Certificate of Registration to a business, airfield or PO Box address please return it to us giving details of the new address and a new Certificate will be issued and the Register entry amended. There is no charge for the re-issue of a Certificate of Registration for a change of address.

Sadly it looks like there is very little any of us can do apart from contact the "seller" via their website and ask for the advertisement to be removed.

Best Regards

Rich B