PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 7th May 2013, 23:45
Greedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ziggychick,
Unfortunately I think the web of deception and cover up in this industry is almost inpenetrable. Your reference to your profession reminded me of something that concerns me. It frightens me when I see Medical organisations stating they are looking to the aviation industry for safety management solutions. I think you have already discovered what a façade aviation systems can be.
For example I work at REX. I am tested every three months for my knowledge of legislation, ability to fill in maintenance forms, and competence to fly. Yet the very person (Chief Pilot) who is responsible for that testing has encouraged me and others to break the law and fly aircraft back to maintenance bases when they have been unserviceable.

I have complained both internally and externally. Doing so has only provoked retaliation and cover up from Rex and CASA. The REX board wrote a threatening letter and backed the Chief Pilot.

The explanation for this I think is in the very thin profit margins in this business. Operating costs are high and any call to improve things is immediately assessed by its effect on the bottom line. While they can get away with things they will.

It must have been a terrifying experience that night and I can understand your wish to hold CASA to account for their lack of oversight. I fear they are masters at cover up so it may be a longer road than just this present inquiry. I and many others support your endeavour. Good Luck.

Greedy