PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargo Crash at Bagram
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2013, 17:53
SamC130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palletizing vehicles.

I am not a loadmaster.

In my opinion that loading method (shown in photos) is deeply flawed

solid wood blocks allow no compression and the blocks under the middle of the vehicle are supporting the solid structure of the vehicle and NOT able to compress (blocks under axles will allow compression by way of the vehicle suspension ) end result its possible to rock in pitch about the blocks set in the middle, possibly even enough to unlatch strap hook ends.

In my opinion the vehicle should have COMPLETELY deflated tyres and NO blocks, the straps and chains then attached to the vehicle compressing the vehicle suspension

I am not in any way saying this method was used in the crash flight or that if it was used, that it caused the crash, but (as a complete amateur in this field with no professional experience) I certainly dont agree with the securing method shown in those loading photos.

You may not be a loadmaster, but I was for 11 years, then I became a professional pilot. Blocks are used when palletizing vehicles as a means of preventing the springs from compressing when a vertical load is placed on the vehicle and causing the restraints to possibly come loose. On airdrop platforms, they're placed on cardboard so they will compress when they hit the ground and make them easier to drive off of the platform.