PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The logic or illogic use of hard braking with carbon brakes on long dry runways
Old 7th May 2013, 13:04
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over-Run,

Thank you for your erudite technical explanation of the mysterious operations of carbon brakes. Despite that, I must admit I find it hard to get my head around the subject and I suspect a lot of pilots have the same trouble.

Meanwhile, seems to me that brake technique during taxiing is practically identical whether using steel brakes or carbon brakes. That is, allow the speed to build up to a certain safe figure while keeping feet clear of the brakes to avoid inadvertant `dragging'. Then apply brakes normally to reduce speed.

That done, take feet of the brakes again(momentary cooling period) while the aircraft once more accelerates under idle thrust. Repeat exercise. It probably works out that once a safe taxi speed is reached (20-30 knots), the brakes are applied for about 5-10 seconds once every minute to slow to 10 knots depending on aircraft gross weight and other factors.