Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2013, 22:47
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as350nut:

Ford Pinto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TC:

Homonculus - arguing in favour of a poorly designed helo, surely is worse than having it removed in the first instance.
One would hope that eventually someone - either another entrepreneur or FR himself might build a more user friendly lawn mower in future simply because of the onslaught of complaints about it.
Of course you are right - because of the Robbo, many more are now flying....but you know what I'm about to say next, don't you: many more are now dead
This assumes it's an 'unsafe' design. Based on most of the arguments in this thread, if they were applied to all types, we would have most of the helicopters in the world struck from the register.

Warning, my opinion is based on a little over 600 hrs in the R22 and R44.

Flown within the envelope by a competent pilot these a/c are as safe as any out there. I am supportive of additional safety features, such as bladder tanks, but I fail to see that any of these accidents was caused by a lack of tanks. All to often these aircraft are being flown into solid objects, run out of fuel, overloaded, or just generally mishandled.