PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2013, 19:01
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys

Was just browsing the forums and read the last few pages... Some nice and educated comments by all!

Shame not to see the 787 coming to BRS, I remember the airport also mentioning in historical planning documents the runway would not need to be extended as the new generation of long haul aircraft could fly from what they already have.

With Luton been my local airport and having a reasonably short runway too, I also had hopes the 787 might operate from there, as I think a non-stop 767 to Florida is pushing it a bit off a 7000ft runway! But that really is just a pipe dream and as long as Gatwick remains, Thomson will almost definately keep Long Haul ops based there.

I was just curious on other peoples thoughts... I notice Exeter has had a long standing route to Toronto with Canadian Affair/Air Transat, which I think operates via another UK airport on the outward journey (Glasgow or Birmingham I think), in a similar manner to the Thomson LH flights.

It has always surprised me this route has not been switched to Bristol where is could potentially attract a far bigger market. Is this a route the airport has on its radar or tried to attract in the past? If they were to operate the A310 on the route and fill it up, it is debatable if the route could operate non-stop to Toronto as this type has a very similar performance to the 757.