PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 6th May 2013, 10:41
my oleo is extended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let us read "CAsA Chronicle 2007" Ref: Shelfware Bruce

Here is a snippet from the CAsA Chronicles, specifically "CAsA Chronicle 2007", Ref: Shelfware Bruce.
There are many many chronicles in existence, along with philes galore. I have bolded the bits that I like, I am sure Frank will have a chuckle as well.
I just wonder if ESSO's replacement at the end of year will also put out some puff piece pony pooh such as this when he/she first arrives? Time is a good measuring stick of effectiveness, go back 20 years and there is more of this folly out there - winsome words, salient statements and succint papers, even a smattering of Wodger euphemisms and casting couch commentary!

Link below to the original bollocks:

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Building the new CASA - a check of the scorecard

Building the new CASA – a check of the scorecard

Aviation Law Association of Australia and New Zealand
Avalon, March

Regulatory Development

First some background. To put it bluntly, CASA and its predecessors had a long and not so proud history of rule writing. There had been a number of regulatory re-write initiatives over the last decade or so, and each has failed to reach fruition, for a variety of reasons. There was another such re-write in train when I joined CASA at the end of 2003. In this case, after a few years of mixed progress a major effort had been made to fast-track the bulk of the program.

Unfortunately, the effort to get it done in the required time-frame had increased the risk that the quality of the rules that were emerging would be compromised, that the goal of ‘Safety Through Clarity’ would not be met and that the new rules were less to do with safety outcomes and more
to do with control or prescription.

I also had doubts as to the quality of the consultation that had taken place. So, as some of you are aware, one of the first things I did after
arriving at CASA was to issue a series of directives which effectively put ‘on hold’ the so-called ‘operational’ package of the new regulations, pending a review to be undertaken by the Standards Consultative Committee, a body whose members are drawn largely from industry to advise CASA on regulatory issues.

This was likely to be the last chance we had to get the rules right and I made no apology for slowing the process, and even suspending it, until we could get it right.

The new guiding principles were for regulations which were to
be:
· Based on known or likely safety risks
· Drafted to specify the safety outcome required, rather than detailed requirements to achieve that outcome
· Within a two tier framework – the Civil Aviation Act, and the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations, supported by advisory and guidance material where needed.

In short, I wanted to get our regulations back to where they needed to be, and with a clear safety focus.

Also, I am interested in safety outcomes, not necessarily in the way those outcomes may be reached, which can be many and varied. This is the
approach adopted by the European Aviation Safety Agency, and I will refer further to that in a moment. The prospect of having the flexibility to meet the requirements by a means of one’s own choice appealed to some, but the concept was not universally embraced, as many in our industry like to be told what to do, literally ‘doing it by the book’. Such people are catered for in that the new style regulations will be supported by an advisory method of compliance. In other words, if you adopt this method you will satisfy the regulatory requirement (and satisfy CASA). But if you have a better process, one that works better for your organisation and achieves the desired outcome, then we will be happy to check it out, and if we agree it works, approve it as an acceptable means of compliance.

Implementation of the new guiding principles was established through Directive 16 of 2004 and were given support by the establishment of a new set of review bodies, the Regulatory Advisory Panels or RAPs, in addition to existing consultative arrangements. Membership is a mix of CASA and industry representatives, plus a representative from the Department of Transport and Regional Services. The distinguished Chair of this meeting [James Kimpton] is also the chair of two RAPs.

The need for new regulations to meet the new guiding principles initially slowed the regulatory development process, but there is no question that better and more effective safety focused rules have been the result.

Bruce
Byron AM
Chief Executive Officer
31 January 2007

Oh Bwuce, CAsA and its predecessors?? Some of them are still there today, 2013!

Last edited by my oleo is extended; 6th May 2013 at 20:45.