PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2013, 08:40
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
There but for the Grace of God, Danny. The way that a/f's were packed together in WW2, like sardines in a tin, meant that your away-day was by no means uncommon. Given the NE murk and the non-precision approach aid on offer one would have hoped for a rather more understanding reaction from the boss. However lesser fleas have smaller fleas etc, so I guess he had his own worries, no doubt.

The more renowned examples of the genre include the Pan Am 707 landing at Northolt, mistaking it for LHR. In Singapore the parallel runway directions of Paya Lebar (then the main civil airport) and RAF Changi led to occasional cross overs (though only from the former to the latter AFAIK). I was downwind, No1, when we suddenly became No2. A BOAC VC-10 came off Kong Kong NDB, called field in sight to Paya Lebar but was lined up for 20 Changi, so his clearance to land was of limited value when he touched down there. Like you though he clicked that all was not as it should be and poured on the coals to deliver his pax to their ticketed destination. I believe his touch and go resulted in a landing fee from the MOD to BOAC, No doubt his chat with his Fleet Manager was even more terse than yours with the boss.