PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2013, 08:35
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AA Rapide (later an Apache) was also a resident.

Automobile Association De Havilland DH89A Dragon Rapide G-AHKV at Biggin Hill in 1959 (Photo: Jerry Hughes)

A great shame this photo is not in colour for, if it were, you would see the delightful Rapide in bright yellow with black piping.

Automobile Association Piper PA23-160 Apache G-APZE at Biggin Hill on 12th May 1967 (Photo: John Hamlin)

Planemike: Thanks for the further description. If it was one and the same hangar as the one used by Decca (as Treadigraph suggests) then I remember it well.

G-ARIA (the Decca Bell 47) and her pilot 'Robin' Hood have of course be covered earlier in the thread on pages 71 and 80.

Sadly there weren't that many blitterblats at Biggin in the 60's and 70's. I remember that if you passed to the right of the Decca/Express Aviation hangar past more curved roof hangars at the very end was an Air and Space Autogyro owned (I think) by someone called Chris Devere? Anyway, whoever it was ended-up landing the thing on our property in the early 70's when my father used to keep his planks at Biggin.

Treadigraph: Thank you for your investigative work! Great to discover that the craft I saw at Sportair ends-up having so much relevance and was also to be found in 'Eric the Ferret's' photo album!

Denissimo: I remember BESS well too .. as Peter would regularly fly into Booker in the mornings using this craft. Do you recall the incident where he 'dinged' the tail rotor on one of the chain posts surrounding the helipad at Skyline? Nobby had to run out and tell him to shut down (he was doing the 2-3 minute cool down) before the tail shook itself to pieces!

Oldlae: Many thanks. Its been too long since we heard from you last!