PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2013, 17:50
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eric: Nice shot!

Heli-Union: Please feel free to post whatever you have.

ICO: Thank you for the Hiller confirmation along with your reminiscences aloft, I am sure they were great days! I would like to hear more about 'Master Bates' Little Old Lady Routine and the pre-display briefing!

Those early days of rotary-wing aviation seem so far removed from our 21st century and yet, as a youngster my godfather would talk of such times as thought they were only yesterday! His years in the AAC (although it wasn't called that when he joined) as well as his time with Bristol and later as a test pilot at A&AEE Boscombe Down, seemed to be so constantly filled with aeronautical antics and general tomfoolery that I imagined he never had a single serious day in his life!

Colin was a 'friendly face' at Brooklands for many years - such a thoroughly pleasant person. Sadly missed.

John: Sorry to learn of your sister misplacing the autographs of all the Beatles .. hmm .. Beatles and Whirlwinds with red noses (your HAS7) .. makes me think ..

Four young lads run around a Whirlwind!

Oops .. lets try it from this side

C'mon lads, around we go

Did you really say you saw a Navy flyer in his briefs around the back here?

And the craft in question ..

British European Airways Westland Whirlwind Series 1 G-ANFH c.1960's

I don't have a location for the above photo but .. someone might recognise the Piper hangar.