PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The logic or illogic use of hard braking with carbon brakes on long dry runways
Old 5th May 2013, 11:44
SR-22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say yes, that it is an overkill of using Autobrake 3 on all landings on dry runways and Autobrake Max on wet ones. My outfit has carbon brakes installed on the whole 737NG fleet and I'd say it of course all depends on runway length, the weather, is the terminal at the end of the runway or do you have to taxi all the way back, does the airport have "minimum runway occupancy time or not" etc.

To set autobrakes will ensure immediate braking upon touchdown and nice and even application of braking.

But if I am let's say landing on a 10-13000 foot dry runway and the terminal is for example at or close to the far end I would land with autobrakes OFF and just land and let it roll and vacate at the best exit to make the taxi short. Most likely one wouldn't have to touch the brakes at all.. as long as the landing was made in the touch down zone of course. It would seem a bit silly to land with autobrake 3 and then have to add thrust for the taxi down to the end then now wouldn't it? Simple logic. Unless of course it is a "minimum runway occupancy time airport" that is different..

So basically just plan the landing roll and the vacating depending on various factors.

Interesing points on the temperature though, nothing about that in our manuals, only that they wear per applications of braking not the pressure or for how long it is as above. And for the taxi to let the aircraft speed up a bit and then apply brakes and slow down to a fairly slow speed, e.g. not to wear the brakes and minimise the number of brake applications.