PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A sudden awakening at 32
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2013, 11:54
Ianp83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go for it

CY80 - I'm 30 next month and have just handed in my notice to leave my corporate job to do the same as you. I have worked f hard for the last 8 years and put myself into a position where I can just about afford to do this. It was really hard to give up the salary (even though I'm not enjoying the job anymore), but you only get one shot at life, and getting older will only decrease options in aviation not increase them.

I got to the point where I realised if I didnt take the chance to do it now, it would never happen. Perhaps I'll spend £50k on a modular course and it still won't happen but it's worth a try.

Eyes open would be my only advice. When my boss said to me, are you sure there will be a job for you when you've done all the work, I told him no, I wasn't sure, in fact I'm sure it'll be quite hard to find a job, but people are retiring, people do lose their medicals and airlines are putting orders in.

I'd love to work as an instructor/TP operator for a few years and whilst the LHS of a flag-carrier is the end goal, I'm under no illusions of how long that may take.

It sounds from your post that you have the means to do this. Do it, you'll regret it in 10 years if you don't try.

Just my 2c.