PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Chipmunks
Thread: RAF Chipmunks
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2013, 05:07
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Amazing to see the Chipmunk threads keep coming back. Shows how popular the old girl is.

I flew the 1 AEF aircraft at Coltishall in the late 80s/early 90s - we used to borrow them for the summer camps. My logbook records I flew WD373, WK630, WP840 and WP920.

I had to collect one once and got a lift to Manston in a Jaguar T2. As the radio sets didn't have the correct crystals for Norwich/Colt, I had a pre determined time to do a no radio join. We were a bit late on arrival due a start snag on the Jag, so I got straight out of the Jag and into the Chippy. Must have been about the only time a Chippy had been flown by someone wearing a g suit. When I put the flaps down, I got the Personal Equipment Connector jammed in the flap mechanism and landed flapless. It may have been a better idea to take it off!

I have a copy of the "Jump John, Jump" film. It's on a DVD payer with a hard drive and I've promised a copy for Paul, the "star" of the film who doesn't have it. I'm having problems making a good copy of it as the DVD player has some odd codec and the image is very jittery. I'm going to have to play it into a A/D converter which won't do the image many favours. I will put it on You Tube or a drop file when done. Failing that, I can do some copies and post them out to those who have requested it.

BTW - this demonstrates that the correct spelling of the stater system should be "Coughman!"