PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine offs to the ground
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2003, 15:16
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winnie,

We have a similar problem in the UK with the R22. Examiners for the PPL(H) can be any Flight Examiner (type rated and in practice of course). Most significant schools have such a bod either on the staff or known to them. He is current on the R22 and is in the mainstream of ab-initio instruction, so no problem.

Unfortunately, the CAA insist that, for the commercial flight test, a CAA staff examiner is used. You don't get to choose. For a while this was pretty much always one person. Although this person had significant experience, it did not include R22 flying or instruction of ab-initio civi students. A number of R22s have been damaged during flight test EOLS with him as the PIC. Indeed, I have been told that one school has simply banned him from testing on their aircraft.

Looking further back into the past, there was a similar spate of damage accidents with another CAA staff examiner.

Currency and recent practice is key, no matter who you are.

The JAR FCL flight test list is clear that EOL "touchdowns" are a requirement for a licence issue flight test and indeed for the licence proficiency check (on singles). I don't think this is wrong myself, but I do think it is wrong for any pilot to undertake a flight exercise as PIC when he is not current and in practice himself, no matter who he works for.