PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nanchang CJ-6
Thread: Nanchang CJ-6
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2013, 08:46
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The first time I saw a Nanchang 6 was about 1998. I was in a city in west Sichuan where the military airfield was starting to be joint civil use. The terminal building was just a shed and to get to it one had to be driven around the perimeter track.
Half way around we came to a line of Nanchang 6s. The first one was in a shocking state; the canopy was crazed and yellow, tyres flat and the fabric on the elevators had partially rotted away. The second wasn't a lot better.
I thought then that these aircraft could find a good home in the UK where they could be rebuilt.
The third was complete apart from an engine cowl and the one after at least had its tyres inflated. We then got to several that had drip trays underneath and eventually we came to three that were fully covered, complete with wing cuffs.
It became apparent that that the wrecks were Xmas trees and the covered ones were awaiting their turn to fly. There was a sign by the buildings that indicated that it was an Air Force training school which indicated their role.

Subsequently I visited more military and military/civil bases and the same procedure seemed to be universal, even on front line operational stations. Some of them had their previous equipment parked in rows on the side.

Never saw or heard about the Nanchang being equipped or used as armed aircraft

Last edited by Fareastdriver; 3rd May 2013 at 08:48.