PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAO 48.1
Thread: CAO 48.1
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2013, 03:36
lk978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAO 48.1

New regulations, CAO 48.1 Whats all that about?...

I am actually concerned about the new requirements under 16.1. Although this is an extension to what is already in other parts like, must operate in a safe manner ect ect... It really puts the emphasis on the operating crew.

My concern is the common law implications of any accident that may be accounted to fatigue.

16Flight crew member obligations

16.1It is a condition on each flight crew licence that the licence holder must not operatean aircraft if, considering the circumstances of the flight to be undertaken,he or she has reason to believe that he or she is suffering from, or islikely to suffer from, fatigue which may so impair performance that the safetyof the operation may be affected.

Note1 An FCM employed by an AOC holder should utilise off-duty periods andadaptation periodsto obtain an amount of sleep sufficient to support the appropriate and safedischarge of dutiesduring his or her next rostered FDP or standby.

Note2 An FCM employed by an AOC holder in an augmented crew operation shouldutilise in-flightrest opportunities to adequately manage their alertness for the remainingportion of theFDP.

And the attitude from employers is very clear from the explination of the legislation.

And I quote:

"When option 2 was released for public consultation the major airlines generally opposed the changes to the prescriptive limits, But supported the increase obligations on their employees."

Isn't there a saying about a cake that goes with this.

"We dont like being told how many hours we can work our employees, but when we do make them push the limits we want them to take the responsibility"

Last edited by lk978; 3rd May 2013 at 03:42.