PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie Federal Election Aviation Matters
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2013, 00:44
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve – nothing but admiration and respect for the effort and etc. But I just wonder whether the sound of one hand clapping will make enough noise. Is it not possible to assemble a quorum of similar minded associations?, go in mob handed, aligned and united; it is a common cause after all.
Mate that would be superb. Problem is the difficulty co-ordinating such an effort. I would like both Pilot unions to join us first but it is a big decision for a union to de-link from the Labor Party. There are so many excuses you could come up with to not do what we are doing -

• too much work on
  • can't find members to stand for Parliament
  • don't want to upset the Labor people we like
  • worried members might not be happy about decision
  • too hard to catch Steve on the phone to see how they are going about it
  • leadership overseas a lot
  • Not enough time between now and election
  • May upset airline management/CASA
It is quite a project too get involved in. FAAA we would love to be part of it also, we rarely even speak with the International Division. The ALAEA can only do what we can do. If anyone is not part of our union I am happy for you to join us for this effort. After all the things we have outlined in our draft election platform are general aviation issues that relate to us all, not specific Engineering issues.

Watever happens, our decision will be finalised at our Executive meeting at the end of this month. If we go full steam ahead we will be doing it properly. It won't just be one hand clapping thin air.

cheers