PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NVG (ANVIS, AN/AVS) for HEMS, which is best USA vs. Europe vs. Israel?
Old 2nd May 2013, 22:29
Iefan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My apologies for the belated post, I've been out the office.

ARRAKIS and [email protected] thank you for the document, I'm going to go through it in the next couple of days. I will ensure we address the external lighting, thank you for highlighting its importance.

GS Pilot- thank you for your thoughts and the information on the helmets. I was favoring the Alpha helmets, but you make a very good point about the visor on the Gallet. Luckily we have these protecting us....
Thanks for the tip on the Oregon Aero ZetaLiner.

GS Pilot, [email protected], Megawart and busdriver02- thank you for your posts regarding training and currency.

Its evident from your insightful posts that different training and currency requirements are applicable depending on the typical mission profiles flown by your organization and what weather conditions such missions are permitted to take place in. I understand the point of view of the various posters.

I would still like to know what would be typical procedures used to mitigate some of the risk of tube failure, deteriorating weather and IIMC?

Tube Failure
-Limit operations below a certain height or for certain higher risk missions to two pilots
-Limit operations to a minimum height AGL to allow for recovery procedure if tube fails?
-Limit operations to a minimum cloud base and vis?

Deteriorating Weather
-Institute a rule that if a specific height or speed can no longer be maintained due to lowering cloud base or visibility aircraft diverts and routes into better conditions or if not possible lands?

IIMC
-IIMC training
-Conservative cloud base and visibility planning minima for mission?

Please add more measures/procedures with which to manage risks introduced by NVG opertions.

Thank you
Iefan