PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glouchester Staverton schedules
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2003, 10:00
excrab

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Madtoonfan,

The charters are already a success, as was mentioned by Ididn'tget, as indeed are all the charters into Jersey in the summer from every UK regional airport that has them. But scheduled services are something different.

Ididn'tget/Balu53,

Yes Aircorbiere primarily used a 404/406, however they also used a 310 on occasion when the loads didn't justify the larger aircraft. This I know for a fact as I saw it and spoke to the pilot flying it.
As far as Orient Air goes I don't know the ins and outs of the Bandit, but it certainly had "Orient Air" written on it. When they were operating the Chieftan the operation was on such a shoe string that they filed VFR when it wasn't to avoid eurocharges, and the Chief pilot used to say that if they had to go into the hold then all the profit from that days operations had gone. If a scheduled service is running that close to the wind you cannot really call it a viable route.

Regarding the performance of a Dash 8, I may be wrong as I only had performance data for a 300 available. Gloucesters runway 27 is about 66m shorter than 28 at LCY, and I believe that Dash200s aren't limited out of there although a 300 would be.

However I still find it difficult to believe that enough business passengers are going to be generated every day to make it viable, unless they have a corporate customer in the wings. Whilst BHX may be an hour away from Gloucester, for anyone living North of Worcester the obvious choice is going to be to drive there and get a £29 ticket with Ba or Flybe.

Don't get me wrong - I've been flying from Gloucester both privately and commercially for 25 years (off and on) and would like nothing better than to see it succeed. But judging on the historical performance of other attempts it will be an expensive and uphill struggle.